Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:35:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Daniel Schales <dan@coes.LaTech.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5-PRERELEASE NFS Problem

:I'm seeing problems with NFS serving over UDP in a 4.5-PRERELEASE
:system.  The problem seems to be in readdir or perhaps stat. I can't ls
:a directory that's mounted via UDP.  I can read files.  The problem
:goes away with TCP mounts.  I had problems with both FBSD 4.4 and Solaris
:2.8 clients.  The server is new, so I don't have any historical data,
:however I've never had problems in the past in other servers using UDP.
:The system was cvsup'ed Thursday evening.
:
:Danny
:
:--
:Daniel Schales             Louisiana Tech University

    This could be just about anything.  I recommend you run tcpdump on
    both the client and server and observe the NFS packet traffic during
    the failure.  We haven't made any changes to the readdir code
    specifically.

    Other possibilities: The ethernet card may have packet loss or may
    have problems.  There may be mtu issues.  There may be firewall
    issues.

						-Matt