Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:07:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ahc lockups in -current

It seems that the last changes to the ahc drivers (committed on the
18th) are causing my system to lock up. I'd check the aic7890 specific
changes first, but that's just me.

The problem is that when I start doing I/O to two drives, the system
hangs. The SCSI controller and both drives(*) turn on their "I'm busy"
LED, so I assume the scsi bus is hung. They OS is still there, but
trying to do anything that touches the drives causes the process to
lock up. I get no core dump and no messages to the console indicating
any problems.

With this version, I *do* get the following message at boot time that
I didn't get before:

	(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered. 0 SCBs aborted.

The system configuration is:

Supermicro motherboard with two PII/Xeons and a aic7890 on it. The aic
has BIOS version 2.01 on it. Attached to that are:

su-2.04# camcontrol devlist
<SEAGATE ST39236LW 0004>           at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<SEAGATE ST39173W 5958>            at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<iomega jaz 1GB J.86>              at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<PIONEER CD-ROM DR-124X 1.06>      at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass3,cd0)
<YAMAHA CRW4260 1.0q>              at scbus0 target 5 lun 0 (pass4,cd1)
<ARTEC AM12S 1.06>                 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass5)

Target 0 is the system disk: /, /var, /usr, swap and some scratch
space.

Target 1 is data: /home, more scratch space (/usr/obj lives there) and
more swap.

The SCSI bus is:

	AM12S(6) -- AIC(7) -- da(1) -- da(0) -- jazz(3) -- cd(4) -- cd(5)
	 -- term plug

I'm a bit leary of the external scanner, so I unplugged it, made sure
the AIC had termination set properly, and rebooted single
user. Mounted /usr read-only, mounted the scratch space on da1, and
did a cp -r of /usr to the scratch space. The system locked up in the
same state as described above.

Trying the same test - except I left the scanner plugged in - with a
kernel built with the old version of the ahc driver worked fine. In
fact, building the world with /usr/src and /usr/obj on different disks
has been working fine for a while now.

I'm hoping to get some guidance from someone who's familiar with the
code before I start digging into it. If more information would be
useful (dmesg output? config file? other?), let me know. If there's
somne specific testing to do - including, if needed, borrowing a 2940
and moving the drives to that to try things on - let me know.

	Thanx,
	<mike

*) When rebooting after the first such crash, the system locked up
during fsck with the jazz drive lit as active as well. Yes, the jazz
filesystem is mounted at boot.