Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 23:28:45 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mark Turpin <mturpin@saturn.spel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multia - Install success - 3.0-19981125-SNAP

> 	After an extended period (about 4 hours) of trying to find two
> good 3.5" floppies I successfully installed FreeBSD/Alpha on my Multia.
> Not too difficult, just took a long time.
>
> A couple of things I have questions on...
>
> I get an FDC: Data overrun or underrun error while booting the kern.flp.
> It didn't seem to be any problem, just an annoyance.  Is this expected or
> might I have some hardware problem.

It's common for the Multia; they seem to have very dodgy floppy
hardware.

> Next question,  How was the newfs done for the kern.flp image?  However
> that was done it is the same way you need to make the mfsroot
> disk. I had to do the following to get the alpha to read the mfsroot.gz
> disk:
>
> 	dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0
> 	mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
> 	rm -rf /mnt/*
> 	cp mfsroot.gz /mnt
> 	umount /mnt
>
> I tried fdformat/disklabel/newfs about 5 different ways and it never found
> mfsroot.gz on the disk.

I don't understand why this is going wrong.  If you have a chance to
look at the UFS code in libstand and try a few debugging printfs, I
would be eternally grateful.

> I have a webpage that documents my process of installing the system. it's
> at http://www.mainstreettech.com/~mturpin/alpha.html

Thanks; are you interested in expanding this into a general FreeBSD/AXP
install guide?