Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        adam@veda.is, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail

> The reason why I asked you this is because I didn't know why
> NO_PACKAGE was set.  (I was worried about licenses and stuff, because
> I wanted to put the distfile on the CD.)  It's recommended that you
> put a comment above the NO_PACKAGE line describing why it is so.
>
> You have my permission to add this comment to the Makefile. :)
>
>  * The default mailto:webmaster@your.site URL is compiled into the
>  * binaries with local site info. It would be possible to make a generic
>
> Oh, I see.
>
>  * Also, it is extra work to cleanly create the package on a system which
>  * already has a data heirarchy installed (probably modified
>  * locally). This is less of a hinderance than the previous reason.
>
> Don't worry about this, if this is a problem, so many of our ports
> will be NO_PACKAGE. ;)

Please don't use the NO_PACKAGE as the criteria on weither the distfiles
end up on the CDROM this time.  Many distfiles where left off of the 2.0.5
CDROM and it appears that this was used as the criteria for doing it.  I
already mentioned one to you that was this way in private email (elm) and
just want to make sure that you have found a ``better'' criteria mechanism
for what distfiles go on the cdrom.

I don't have a list of ones I have run accross but I know there where at
least 2 or 3 of them that the only reason they are not packages is because
they have compiled in gunk that makes packaging them impractical.

Seems here is yet another one :-).