Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:23:50 -0400
From:      Clint Gilders <techservices@onlinehobbyist.com>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: have i been hacked?

>> I had someone get into one of my machines when I stupidly left telnet
>> running and an email from the system much like yours was what first
>> alerted me to it.   The kiddie had installed a new ls which didn't
>> allow any switches.  I imagine '-l' is needed for the suid check, so
>> it fails and reports all the files as changing.   I ran chkrootkit and
>> it turned up nothing.   The kiddie had also replaced several other
>> programs (login and ps were among them) and turned off syslog.    I'm
>> lucky to have several other systems, so i was able to copy over known
>> original versions of the system tools that were changed and get the
>> machine secured before moving all the accounts and reinstalling.
>>

> Bad move, backup important data and reinstall your host, you cannot tell
> which applications are affected or not (just spotted the obvious ones).
>
> If you intend to keep it running, well thats a security incident imho.
>
> Please consider it.

I think you misread my message.  Did "moving all the accounts and
reinstalling"  imply that I didn't do a reinstall?  I simply copied over
known original programs so I could make my backup and do some postmortem
before reinstalling the system.   As you say, who knows what other
program were changed.  I wanted to use known good binaries.

--
Clint Gilders <techservices@onlinehobbyist.com>
Director of Technology Services