Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:46:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        tim@v-com.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl: scripts to commands...weird

[snip]
> now here's the weird stuff...
>
> 3. I have to move it into one of the bin directories that is in my shell
> path. (I'm using csh as default)

I think the others answered this satisfactorily.

> 4. I have to launch another shell or log out and log back in to my current
> one for it all to take effect.

with csh (and tcsh) you need to type rehash to update the list of
binaries/programs that the shell knows about. (This is probably not a very
accurate description but it works). I think that when the shell is started
it builds a list/database of the programs in the path. When you add a new
program the rehash command tells the shell to rebuild the list.

Andrew Perry