Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 00:01:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: variable-sized subnets in class C

Greg Shenaut wrote,
> I am trying to divide up my class C network into variably sized
> subnets.  I think I understand how to do this, but I thought I'd
> write up what I think to be the constraints, and see if anyone
> more knowledgeable than I could keep me from making a mistake.

[snip long explination]

I think you have made this a lot more complicated than it really
is. First, there is no real reason to limit the discussion of this to
class C subnets. We could equally well talk about 20-bit nets or any
mask with less than three bytes.

Second, you do have one thing
wrong.

> The rules are: the highest and lowest address in each network cannot
> appear in a subnet.

It is a misconception that the lowest subnet and highest subnet
are unuasable. According to RFC 1812 subnets of all zeros or all ones
are legal and should be supported by all routers (only the _very_
oldest of routers may not comply).

With this in mind, you can cut up a C class pretty much any way you
want. Think of it this way, you can take it and cut it in two for two
128 member (126 usable of course) nets. Each if those can (but do not
need to be) cut in two again, and any results from that can be cut
down again, etc. etc. until as you pointed out, you reach a 4 member
net, the smallest that can have "real" hosts.