Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:25:13 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        anton <anton@do.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:07:55AM +0700, anton wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Thursday, August 28, 2003, 3:32:18 AM, you wrote:
>
> JC> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:36:44PM +0700, anton wrote:
> >> Hello freebsd-questions,
> >>
> >> I'v problem with upgarade FreeBSD-4.8
> >>
> >> I intut:
> >> # cd /usr/src
> >> # make buildworld
> >> Makefile:137: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> >>
> >> What is problem?
>
> JC> You're using GNU make instead of /usr/bin/make. Don't. Building the
> JC> system sources requires the BSD make.
> I'm using /usr/bin/make

If you are, it isn't the FreeBSD make. With the bundled system "make",
the error signature looks something like:

    "Makefile", line 1: Need an operator
    make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

With GNU make the error signature looks like:

    Makefile:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.

So either you've overwritten the system's "make" with the GNU make (by
installing GNU-make by hand instead of using the ports system), or
your PATH is really weird.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily