Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:54:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Maybe its a hardware problem, maybe not

Hello,

I've gotten FreeBSD 4.4.3 installed and downloaded a
tarball which I proceeded to extract.  Towards the end
of the extraction the kernel died with a page fault
error and rebooted the system.  After rebooting and
fixing the disk with fsck, this problem repeated
several times.  I also tried to build some ports and
the same thing happened.

During the install, when it was copying files it would
die with the "Wrote -1 bytes of 202423" or whatever it
was.  After turning the computer off, unplugging it
and letting it set, and trying several times the
system finally installed.

Now everyone says that I should face the music that my
harddrive is dieing.  Well, I seriously doubt it.  Its
been a bulletproof system under Linux and has good
hardware (Adaptec SCSI controller, Seagate Cheetah
drive, Pentium 2, Intel mobo).  I put FreeBSD on it,
and wham, all sorts of wierd issues.

My questions are these:  is FreeBSD more "sensitive"
to hardware failures or misconfigurations?  Is there a
way to diagnose if in fact the harddrive is dieing?
What could be some causes of these oddities, besides
the blatant "your drive is dieing" which I seriously
doubt.

By the way, before installing 4.4.3 I installed 2.2.8
while waiting to get the new CD.  It installed without
a hitch and didn't see any problems with the system
until 4.4.3 came on. (I did a clean, format, etc.)

I'd be completely willing to provide any other
information if needed.  Please contact me at the below
email address.

Thank you,

Hans Zaunere
zaunere@yahoo.com