Date:      06 Jul 2002 21:12:58 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        James Earl <mtntrip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antialiased fonts

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 20:23, James Earl wrote:

> --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 23:27, James Earl wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been unable to successfully get antialiased fonts working in GNOME 2.0.  I'm running
> > FreeBSD
> > > 4.6-RELEASE and XFree86 4.2.0, with USE_GDK_XFT set to 1, and Type1 and webfonts specified in
> > the
> > > XftConfig file.  I'm not very good with fonts and XFree86 yet, so I really don't know what I
> > could
> > > be doing wrong.
> >
> > Take a look at the FAQ at
> > http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q8
> >
> > You need to make sure you have the freetype and type1 modules loaded in
> > XF86Config, and that, if you're using gdm, your ~/.gnomerc file is
> > executable.
> >

> > > Do I need gdkpixbuf installed for antialiased fonts?  (the only reason I ask is the "GDK" in
> > > USE_GDK_XFT).
> >
> > No, gdk-pixbuf is a GNOME 1.4.1-only component.
> >
> > Joe
>
> I actually do have the freetype and type1 modules loaded.  I should have mentioned that.
>
> To set USE_GDK_XFT to 1, I'm using 'setenv USE_GDK_XFT 1' from the command line.  Once I'm in
> GNOME I check to see that USE_GDK_XFT is set to 1 using 'echo $USE_GDK_XFT'.  For my XftConfig
> file I am using the one that is included with XFree86, except I have two dir lines: dir
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" and dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts"  Are there any other
> requirements for the XftConfig file to get antialiased fonts working?

I just have the Type1 directory in my XftConfig, but things work fine.
I also set the variable in my ~/.gnomerc file, and use gdm to start
GNOME.

You can see an example screenshot at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/screenshots.html (the last screenshot) for
an example of how it should look.

> There's no way that my GNOME 2.0 port could have been built without support for antialiased fonts
> is there?

Nope.  It should be there by default.  Perhaps the webfonts thing is
screwing things up.  Try commenting out that directory.

Joe