Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:26:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Johannes.Effendi@redsheriff.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recursive Directory Comparison

In the last episode (Jun 28), Johannes Effendi said:
> I am currently working with 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD on Intel PC. and
> wonder whether there is a utility in FreeBSD or even perl scripts
> that allows me to do files comparison recursively from the directory
> level, and display which files are the same and which are not. On
> HP-UX this command is available as 'dircmp'.

"diff -r" is nice.  If you only want to know if the files are different
(and don't care about the changes themselves), "diff -r --brief".

Also, I just checked, and dircmp on my DEC Unix box is just a shell
script, and works just fine (modulo some "echo \t" tab-expansion
problems) on my FreeBSD-current box.  If your HP-UX dircmp is also a
shell script, try copying it over and see if it works.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com