Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:29:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Subject:   Ethernet over Firewire fwe0:

Hi,

Is there any known problem with installing on a machine whose
Ethernet is fwe0:  "Ethernet over Firewire" ?

I am still trying to install on that IBM Z61t notebook.
I get it all to appear to work - boot into sysinstall, slicing
and partitioning, making install choices and setting up the network
config stuff until it goes to look up the FreeBSD ftp host.   Then
it sets there until it times out.
This is with several mirrors and the main site.

In the apparently related boot messages I see:

 firewire0: <IEEE1394 (Firewire) bus> on fwohci0
 fwe0: <Ethernet over Firewire> on firewire0
 if_fwe0: Fake Ethernet address: 02:06:16:23:38:33
 few0: Ethernet address: 02:06:16:23:38:33
 fwe0: if_start running defferred for GIANT

There are several <GIANT-LOCKED> messages, both before and after
this fwe0 block of messages in the form of

 uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
  etc for 0..3
 ehci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

 atkbd: [GIANT-LOCKED]
 psm0:  [GIANT-LOCKED]

I presume these are normal because I see similar messages at boot
time on machines that work fine.   But, I mention since there was
a fwe0 message saying if_start is deffered for GIANT and I didn't
see anywhere that it did anything like resume running.

Anyway, I can't seem to install over ftp - with a fixed IP and hostname.
I am quite sure I got things like gateway and nameserver correct - at
least some of the times I have tried it.

The NIC seems to work under XP (I am setting up a dual boot) since
it is able to bring down some web stuff.  So, I believe the connection
is good, speed, duplex matches, etc.

The fwe man page says to add device firewire and device fwe to kernel
config, but I presume the install kernel has them because it seems
to recognize things OK - just not talk over it.

So, any hints - is there something that needs enabling.

////jerry