Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:48:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), Kazutaka@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, Yokota@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Subject:   Serial Console Booting

I am still having mixed results using a serial terminal as the
console. I have successfully built a kernel that sends its booting
messages to the serial terminal, but I have not been able to get the
bootstrap code to print to the terminal.

I have the following lines in my make.conf,

BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=   0x2F8
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=  19200

And I know they do work to some degree, since I get the harware
discovery messages to the terminal.

I have,

% cat /boot.config
-D

Which should cause messages to pour to both the serial console and the
VGA, and the kernel does print on both.

I have gone to /usr/src/sys/boot/i386 and built new boot[012] and
installed them to /boot, then, to be safe, I,

# disklabel -B wd0s1
# disklabel -B wd0s2

Even though slice 2 is the root partition.

I reboot and the,

  No keyboard found

  >> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/7168 k of memory, serial console
  Boot default: 0:wd(0,a)kernel

  boot:

Prompt still goes to the VGA and not the serial console.

I even went through and rebuilt /boot/loader. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any help.