Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:23:44 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@Dreamchaser.org>
To:        Andrew Smith <bsd-questions@andsmith.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Loader

I had a similar problem after installing 5.3b7.
My solution (win2K & 5.3) was to use the ms boot manager.
To do this, copy /boot/boot1 to c:\, naming it whatever you want,
eg FreeBSD_boot1.bsd.  Edit boot.ini to contain a line
like:
	c:\FreeBSD_boot1.bsd="Freebsd 5.3"
In order to edit boot.ini under windows you will need to effectively
chmod it:
   attrib -s -r -h boot.ini
   edit it
   attrib +s +r +h boot.ini (not strictly needed, but a good idea)

You can restore to boot manager with the install disks/cd for windows.

Don't know whether this is the best solution or not; but it is one that
works.

Gary