Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:26:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confused on pppd handshaking

  Hmm... I don't know if the following message was lost or if something
happened or what.  I hope I'm not being obnoxious for reposting this message.
If there was no response because it's not detailed enough, please let me know
so that I may append more information at the expense of increased bandwidth.
I may add that I downloaded the package and made modifications so that support
for auto ppp would be supported.  Also, was there any reason to use cc instead
of gcc? I used gcc instead and there doesn't seem to be any problems.  Maybe
we need flexible packages so that the user is able to choose the features of
the application before installation takes place.

> Greetings!
>
> I can't seem to figure out what this line means:
>
> Feb 22 00:57:30 stimpy pppd[319]: No matching compression scheme, CCP disabled
>
> I'm trying to connect to the FreeBSD server using the Cyclades/mgetty/pppd
> combination.  The setup works for terminals dialing into it but I seem to be
> having a hard time with the ppp stuff.  I tried to disable the various
> compressions in pppd, i.e. -vj, -bsdcomp, but that didn't help.
>
> I'm using Windows 95's dialup networking program to dial into the server.
> It works going into another setup (Linux box using the Cyclades/mgetty/pppd
> combination.). :(

William T. Wong
Assistant Network Analyst
Cal State University, San Bernardino