Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:17:49 -0600
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   broken profiling? gprof/cc -pg/etc

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

There is a problem in the man pages--and/or in how the Profiling
Libraries are a seperate aspect--with seriously frustrating
reprecussions....

After about two weeks of being harrassed by a programmer on one of
my boxes, I started to dig into it myself.  He's been trying to use
gprof and the profiling stuff (built with gcc -pg), and its been
giving him the error:

    cc -pg -g -O -Iinclude -Imodules -Lmodules grammar.o coldcc.o
        [..lots of objects..] shs.o crypt.o -lm -o coldcc
    ld: -lc_p: no match
    *** Error code 1

After a few incredibly frustrating hours I was about to throw my hands
up in the air and send a 'help please' message off to the mailing
list, when I vaguely remembered something about 'profiling' in the
installation.  A quick check showed that proflibs are a seperate aspect
from the regular install, even though 'cc -pg' and 'gprof' and 'profil'
and other commands are installed.  This is a problem because NOWHERE
does it say 'dont forget to install the profiled libraries--otherwise
this will not work'.

This is a serious frustration factor, quantified by the programming
constantly telling me 'it works in linux just fine'.  IMHO, one of two
things needs to be done:

    1) update the man page on anything regarding profiling to say in
       big letters that 'this will not work unless the profiling
       libraries are installed'
    2) pull all profiling commands out of the base install and wrap
       them in with proflibs as a generic 'Code Profiling Libraries
       and Utilities' module, and change it so cc -pg will error out
       if they are not installed (rather than simply dying with an
       error of not being able to find libc_p).

*GAAH*

Ok, I feel better...suppose I should just send-pr this... ohwell, this
way it'll also showup in the search so others will find the solution
(instead of just the question).

-Brandon Gillespie

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--