Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:44:06 -0400
From:      Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   help - catastrophic RAID failure ...

--Boundary-02=_7aU9AsdtSieXShf

Hi Folks,

=46YI, I've forwarded this along to the Highpoint folks - can someone
give any advice on the FreeBSD side of things ? In particular, Soren,
since I'm planning on not using the highpoint driver to recover this
situation, would you think the atapiraid driver should be able to
see the new array ?

Also, can anyone give any general advice on reconstructing partition
tables. I used the 4.7 installer to partition the disks the first time.
And I'm pretty sure that I remember the partition sizes. Well, all=20
except the swap partition (but I think that that was 3G). I realise that
recovering this might be an iterative process but am hopeful that if
I get the 'a' partition back the rest may <slowly> fall back into place.
This time around I guess I'll be using the 4.9 installer - does anyone
know if there's any substantive differences in how it sets up it's=20
partitions/filesystems vs the 4.7 installer ?

As always, any advice you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.

=2D--

Hi I've got a RocketRAID 404, and I'm running FreeBSD 4.9.  When I upgraded
drivers from 1.2 to 1.22 my machine locked up on boot. On the next reboot
the RAID array ( I had a 4 disk 160G 1/0 striped-mirrored RAID ) was=20
reported as being severely damaged, I was prompted to 'check cables' and wa=
s=20
presented with 3 options - Destroy, Reboot, or Continue.

My controller BIOS was at 2.11. Being hopeful, I upgraded my BIOS to=20
2.13c and rebooted again. Same message. Next I downgraded my BIOS back to 2=
=2E11.

The BIOS showed the drives as being something like -

1.  Primary: Maxtor 80G ATA/133, BOOT  (Free)
    Secondary: not present
2.  Maxtor 120G ATA/133  (120G Striped array)
    Secondary: not present
3.  Primary: Maxtor 80G ATA/133 (Free)
    Secondary: not present
4.  Maxtor 80G ATA/133  (80G Striped array)
    Secondary: not present

At this point I thought that the best thing to do was to delete and=20
recreate the array using the same settings as I had used to create it
initially. My thought was that the BIOS, being deterministic, would
create the array in the same way that it had the first time, considering
I was still using the same BIOS version - 2.11 that I had used before.

This worked, but when I rebooted my partition tables were empty. It's my
theory that whatever destroyed the RAID setup also destroyed my partition=20
tables, and that there is a good chance that a lot of my data is still ther=
e.

So how I'm going to proceed is to try to rebuild my partition tables,=20
and hopefully the filesystems will still be there.

What I need from you folks is validation that my understanding of the=20
situation is correct, and that I'm proceeding in the correct way.

And, of course, any advice you could give about 'what went wrong' would=20
also be MOST appreciated. The RAID array has been so reliable that
I hadn't bothered making any backups in a long, long time - AND I HAD
SOME CRITICAL, IRREPLACEABLE DATA on there. :( :( :(