Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:28:36 -0700
From:      Fargo Holiday <galaxy.ranger@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD 5.2] Bandwith and packet throttling

Hello everyone, I sent this out a couple of days ago, but I don't
think it actually got out.
Anyway, my little network here consists of a wireless router branched
off of my FreeBSD box, which routes for all of the cabled computers in
the house. There are two wireless clients, laptops, that are in use
constantly and between the bit torrents and viruses it's either
chewing up my upstream (the achilles heel of my cable connection), or
generating some unwholesome amount of packets, or both.

I've tried setting up dummynet pipes to restrict the bandwidth for
10.0.0.8 (that's the ip for the wireless router's cabled side), but
that dosen't seem to be working.

Here are the rules I've been trying, let me know if this not correct:

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 50Kbit/s queue 10 delay 2000ms #outbound
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 150Kbit/s queue 10 delay 2000ms #inbound
ipfw add deny icmp from any to any
ipfw add pipe 1 all from 10.0.0.8 to any
ipfw add pipe 2 all from any to 10.0.0.8

The painful delay was to test if the pipes were actually working, but
never seemed to make a difference. I even tried assigning them to
10.0.0.0/24, but also to no effect. Dummynet is enabled in the kernel,
HZ is set to 1000, and passing these dosen't generate any errors, so I
have no idea what's going on. Am I just not following how this works?

Last question for now, can these pipes also be used to numerically
limit packets, or am I limited to slots and memory sizes?

Thanks!