Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 07:11:17 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Dick Dunnebier <dbrbrdlq@euronet.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: installation Free BSD

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 11:45:48PM +0200, Dick Dunnebier wrote:
> L.S.
>
> I have bought from Walnut Creek CDROM Free BSD 3.1 and the Complete Free BSD
> book,sec.ed. because it seems to me a fantastic operating system and not so
> fashonable as linux.
> I want to install Free BSD on my computer,but I am afraid that I get perhaps
> some problems.
> I have a Pentium 166 machine with:
> -IDE HD C disk with Windows98 (3.1 GB)
> -IDE HD D disk with linux
> -SCSI2 HD E disk with Windows NT 4.0
> -SCSI2 HD F disk with Windows NT 4.0
> I want to install Free BSD in my G en H disks
> The SCSI2 disk has a size of 9 GB and has been partitioned under MS DOS
> into 4 parts of 2 GB (E,F,G,H).
> The choise after to start the computer take place through Lilo boot in the boot-
> sector of the C disk.
> My problem is when I install Free BSD directly from the CD by insert or through
> MS DOS that Free BSD overruled both the Windows and linux so that I can't
> start them all.

FreeBSD won't do anything you haven't started yourself. You have to read
carefully. First the drive shouldn't be partitioned with DOS, for the
parts you want to use FreeBSD on. Delete the partition you want FreeBSD
on. Second, answer "leave untouched" when prompted if you want Boot
manager to be your boot loader. Then FreeBSD will not touch anything of
your exesting file system. If you boot with lilo today, you can very
well stick to that.

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_