Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:00:58 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec/DPT SmartRAID V under FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE [was: Re: Mylex adapters with 2.x firmware and "couldn't map register window"]

At 1:38 PM -0700 2000/9/21, Mike Smith wrote:

>  Ok.  I've just made all that (hopefully) unnecessary by MFC'ing the code
>  from -current, which has a fix for a dangerous race in the driver kit.

	I think I just found that race condition.  I was trying a "make
update" in /usr/src, when the system panic'ed and crashed.
Unfortunately, it died badly enough that I don't think it was able to
save the dump.

	So, I've just rebooted the machine, moved the DPT-enabled kernel
off to the side, re-named the old kernel back into place, and now I'm
going to pull the side off the machine so that I can remove the SCSI
connector for the internal drive from the DPT card and plug it back
into the on-board AIC-7890, so that I can then do a succesful "make
update", etc..., before reversing the whole process all over again.

	Sigh....  Oh, well -- I guess that's the price I pay for playing
with beta drivers.  ;-)

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium