Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:00:55 GMT
From:      Hans Middelhoek <freebsd@ospito.nl>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/117448: [CARP] 6.2 kernel crash

>Number:         117448
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       [CARP] 6.2 kernel crash
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Two servers are configured for failover using CARP. Originally this is configured with FreeBSD 6.0 and all kernel updates went fine, till we moved to 6.2. System hangs after it's started within an unpredictable time, sometimes within 30 seconds, after a reboot it sometimes takes over 2 minutes. Although it seems a problem when the servers are negotiating about the owner of an IP-address. The problem can be forced with the following command: ifconfig carp2 destroy.
CARP interfaces are setup from within the /etc/rc.conf
cloned_interfaces="carp2 carp3"
ifconfig_carp2="vhid 3 pass XXXXXXX xx.xx.xx.xx  netmask 255.255.255.0 advskew 100"
ifconfig_carp3="vhid 4 pass YYYYYYY xx.xx.xx.xx  netmask 255.255.255.0"

The system isn't accessible after the crash, a hard reboot is necessary. I couldn't find any fix for this except not using CARP... The problem exists with all patchlevels in 6.2 version. I also tried building a default kernel, without PAE, no solution. To fix this temporarily I've build the newest 6.1 kernel and the problem is solved. ifconfig carp2 destroy is working without any problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
Configure CARP interfaces with /etc/rc.conf and activate them. Just one system is enough to repeat the problem. After the CARP interfaces are up the problem will occur automatically, or force it with ifconfig carp2 destroy
Bugreport 92776 - http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/92776 looks like the same, but patching the kernel manually doesn't sound like a solution, also that problem persists in 6.0 and our problem doesn't.