Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:20:35 +0000
From:      John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposed change to make -j

Currently 'make -j' reports an error if the number of jobs
isn't specified.

I'd like to change make(1) to treat -j (without a number) as
meaning "set the number of jobs to the number of processors".

On sun4v, each processor isn't too powerful and system performance
is only decent when you use all the processors - 32 in my case.

I've been working on a parallel 'make release' process which
would benefit from having -j set by default. At the moment I
set MAKEFLAGS=j32 in my environment and this achieves the desired
result, but -j would be more general.

Thoughts?

--
John Birrell