Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 95 23:22:20 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        temp@temptation.interlog.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS install

> >This is a cache flush issue, where there are pages from the file you
> >accessed in the cache but not referenced.
>
>    It is not a cache flush problem. I think there is a bug in sysinstall
> (which runs as /sbin/init) where it doesn't 'cd' out of the nfs directory
> before rebooting.
>
> >There should be a way to flush these built into the unmount, which
> >in turn means an interface for it in the VM system.
>
>    There always has been. Read the code.

I remember a delay on unmount at one time of local media the *was* the
result of crap being in cache with 0 references to it but acting as a
reference to the object.

Now that I think more about it, it seems that those were executables
and not normal files, since running acted as a reference, and for
some reason you had to wait for it to time out or get pushed out
of the lru list by new crap or something like that.

So unless something is actually being run over NFS (I don't think that's
the case) then an open dir ref is probably the problem.

That going to be fixed in the next Beta disk?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.