Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:43:49 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world needs single user mode?

* David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com> [010424 16:40]:
> When I created my system I think I may have made my root system
> too small. So I ended up linking a couple of the / directories
> to /usr.
>
> I just now wondering if that will pose a problem for a make world.
> If I remember correctly, I think you're supposed to go into single user
> mode?

Single user for make installworld;
buildworld is OK if you're multi-user.

2 choices to get /usr mounted

boot -s at the loader
then mount -a
(may need to 'mount -rw /' first, can't say I have)

that'll work.

Personally I go for booting multiuser with the new kernel, then issuing
'shutdown now' to stop all daemons.
2 advantages to this are:
1 = you get to see if your system will go multi-user with the new kernel.
2 = all your disks get mounted for you.

--
Self Test for Paranoia:
	You know you have it when you can't think of anything that's