Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:27:27 +0200
From:      Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
To:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use of newest version number such as 10.0 instead of current

> If FreeBSD starts using numbers for HEAD/CURRENT, i think a lot of users
> would find them selves in a situation
> that they download version 10 in this case and that they are using a
> develepment version instead of a real release version.

Assuming there will be link from main page - probably yes. But if from
official site they can get only RELEASE, and in some deep dark page link to
current - they will not run into this.

> So FreeBSD will get more frustrated users, who need to download the latest
> release again and so on.
> Keeping the name more seperated from the normal numbering prevents this
> more or less.

Hm, what's the problem to name development ISO's differently?
Like, 10-CURRENT-UNSTABLE-*.iso VS 9-RELEASE.ISO
So even very novice user will think twice before downloading.
Is there any reason why ISOs can't be named differently from svn
tag/branch? I don't see this.

IMHO, this must have been done a lot of time ago. But, I may not know some
constraints/restrictions/rules of development process, maybe HEAD is really
necessary.
I think this is more question to release engineering team than to current.