Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 07:43:08 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp & HUP.

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >If nobody will explain why this HUP is neded (hanging shells perfectly
> >killed by SIGKILL), I'll remove HUP sending from init.
>
> SIGHUP may have been to allow shells to propagate SIGHUP to children.
> There may still be some problems here for parts of the process tree
> not killed by the death of the controlling process.  Perhaps shells
> do a more complete job of propagating the SIGHUP?

SIGHUP should be sent to all process groups associated with tty lines.
clean_ttys() does this.  So i think we should remove the SIGHUP salute
that's being sent in death(), and replace it with a call to
clean_ttys().  This will gracefully log off all tty-line associated
process groups, without blatantly reconfiguring all daemons.

Alternatively, the loop in death() should examine whether the process
is in the list of active tty line process group leaders, and only
SIGHUP them.

--
cheers, J"org