Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:03:40 -0800
From:      Richard Krush <richard_k@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem Installing Desktop Managers in 4.2

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 09:30:59PM -0700, Joe Warner wrote:
> >acd0: READ_BIG_MEDIUM ERROR asc=11 ascq=05
> >error=00

I'm not exactly sure, but this looks like a problem with your CD. If
there's a scratch on the CD that prevents xpm-3.4k to be installed, you
probably won't be able to install (properly) any window manager, because
all of them (or at least most) require xpm libraries.

I would recommend downloading the package from the FTP and try installing
KDE again. To do this you can use the ports system (read the ports section
in the handbook) or by typing as root "pkg_add -r xpm" (this will fetch the
appropriate xpm package from the server and install it).

BTW, does that error happen every time you install ANY package or just this
package (or several packages)?

Hope this helps!

--
| Richard Krushelnitskiy  | "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room |
| ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  |  looking for a black cat which isn't there."   |