Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:22:46 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacement for Acrobat Professional?

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:59:35PM -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> It's up to Michael, though, to tell us how well it works, I suppose.  No
> package in packages-6-current/Latest, so I'm building from src, and
> headed for bed before it gets done I imagine.

So, for posterity...

I'd rate pdftops and flpsed as 95% of the way there for this audience.
Some small things don't work, particularly "layered" elements.  Some
parts of the manuscript I was given were highlighted, for example.  In
the original the highlighting is transparent, while the pdftops/flpsed
combination the highlighting obliterates the underlying text.  There
are other, very minor variations.

That last 5% might not be critical for most people; I would certainly
use it for preparing personal documents, or even documents within my
company.  But OpenOffice's PDF export is far easier for preparing PDFs
in general.

for this application, pdftops/flpsed is not acceptable.  When you dump
a PDF directly to a web press and produce a book from it, tiny
variations in page placement or layout will result in a really useless
print run.  But from the various tools people have suggested and that
I've tried last night and this morning, it's as good as we have.

Thanks for all the help, I'll do this the old-fashioned way.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur