Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solution for mail pseudo-users?

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> I'm going to implement a large mail-box, with several hundreds of mail-only
> users. They should never access anything besides their POP3 mailboxes and
> change password via (SSLed) web interface.
>
> So, I don't want to add all of them to /etc/passwd.

The easiest way I can think of would be to add them to /etc/passwd and set
their shell and home dir to /nonexistant. Ideally you wouldn't be running
any other daemons, so there'd be no real way for them to access files; but
the stock ftpd, as well as sshd offer ways to disable access to specific
users.

Dealing with "real" users IMO is quite a bit less hackish.

- alex

You wear guilt,
like shackles on your feet,
Like a halo in reverse