Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 19:21:42 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
Cc:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>, f-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: why "links" w/ "docproj"?

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 12 17:52 -0400,
sent by Jim Mock

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 at 15:51:40 -0400, parv wrote:
> > this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 12 05:26 -0400, sent by
> > Jun Kuriyama

> > > Please look at doc/share/mk/doc.docbook.mk.  links is used to
> > > generate .txt output from .html.
> >
> > thanks for pointing that out, but...
> >
> > ...you omitted the part which stated that one should be able to
> > substitute links, say w/ w3m: another point of my mail.
> >
> > like links, w3m can also do the same thing: dump html source into
> > plain text.
> >
> > why am i complaining regardless, you ask. because i already have one
> > text browser, i don't want another one... especially when the one i
> > have has the same required capabilities: namely dumping html source
> > into plain text.
>
> w3m has more dependencies than links does.  The docproj port is large
> enough to intimidate people already, and adding even more dependencies
> to that would be a bad idea.

i like slim software myself.

i agree and don't have problem w/ choosing links, in this case,
based upon number of minimum dependencies.

> Remember, just because *you* have
> something, doesn't mean that everyone else does (and yes, I prefer w3m
> to links myself).

tell me about it! just like i don't have links but something else...

...however, i didn't say that i would like one particular brsower
should be used but wish for a mechanism to substitute w/ another one.

> Having people be able to choose their preferred browser would also
> require a mechanism to allow such a thing in the Makefiles for the web
> site and all of the other documents, which really isn't needed.
>
> - jim

so couldn't a one liner perl program fix that, if only on my local
copies of makefiles?

given all this, i give up and hope i wouldn't need to make plain text
copies from the, well, makefile mechanisms.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv