Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:12:14 -0500
From:      "Sandro Mancuso" <sandromancuso@hotmail.com>
To:        "'FBSD'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   pppoed

So I was just casually looking through /etc/defaults/rc.conf to see if
there was anything useful in there I wasn't using or whatever.  I ran
into stuff about PPPoE.  Specifically:

	pppoed_enable="NO"              # Run the PPP over Ethernet
daemon.
      pppoed_provider="*"             # Provider and ppp(8) config file
entry.
      pppoed_flags="-P /var/run/pppoed.pid"   # Flags to pppoed (if
enabled).
      pppoed_interface="fxp0"         # The interface that pppoed runs
on.

I'm going to have to usd PPPoE soon for an adsl connection I'm switching
to.  However, most places I've checked out on the net do not use this
apparent daemon when configuring FreeBSD to use such a connection.  I'm
wondering if any of you here have used this pppoed, or know where I can
get some examples of it applied on the net somewhere.  Lastly, does this
run alone, or would I still have to make all the modifications necessary
to ppp? (man pppoe said that it does still require that netgraph stuff,
but it doesn't seem as though it necessarily has to be compiled in the
kernel)

-Sandro