Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:02:09 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@estcard.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Somethings still up with new NSS?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:59:16AM +0300, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> Hi
>
> Some moments ago "lost" all the users on my remote home system. Not
> a big problem, but here's what I did. Sources (and world) are from
> Apr 26. Seems like a problem with new ondisk format of spwd.db or
> similar.
> Sequence which broke:
> logged on remotely
> su to root, changed inetd.conf file to enable ftpd, killall -HUP
> inetd
> back to normal user, changed my password with passwd(1)
> tried to connect to ftpd, no luck
> As I had ssh session still up, looked into logfiles and found that
> root user does not exist, hmm.. tried to su -, same story, tried su
> to normal user.. you got the idea.

I had this happen to me. In my case, I changed my shell, logged out, then
tried to log back in again. The console showed that sshd couldn't find my
account, and I don't think it couldn find the privsep account either. I could
not log in as root at the console either. I fixed the problem by booting
single-user and re-running pwd_mkdb. The entries in master.passwd and passwd
were correct, but I think that for some reason they weren't being read
correctly from the database.

Tim