Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 13:31:01 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tinydns +MX

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have djbdns installed and working.  I have been using DNS
> on my LAN and having it resolve the names for my local machines.
> It forwards any unresolved to my ISP's dns server.
>
> Recently, I have installed qmail on my LAN for internal email.
> I used the ./add-mx to add a mx record for my machine which
> is running qmail.
>
> the mx record in the data file looks like:
> @osborneindustries.com:192.168.1.89:a::86400
>
> If I send test mail to darryl@osborneindustries.com, it gets forwarded to
> my ISP's email server.  If I send email to darryl@mail.osborneindustries.com
> (name of my qmail server), it gets delivered just fine.
>
> How do I get my mx record setup so that user@osborneindustries.com gets
> delivered to mail.osborneindustries.com ?
>
> here are a couple of tests that I ran:
>
> mail# host -t mx osborneindustries.com 192.168.1.1
> Using domain server 192.168.1.1:
>
> osborneindustries.com mail is handled (pri=0) by a.mx.osborneindustries.com
>
> mail# host a.mx.osborneindustries.com 192.168.1.1
> Using domain server 192.168.1.1:
>
> a.mx.osborneindustries.com has address 192.168.1.89

qmail is getting it's DNS information from somewhere other than 192.168.1.1

Log into that machine and do "host -t mx osborneindustries.com" and see what
DNS server it's using.  Perhaps you can adjust /etc/resolv.conf on the mail
server.

mail.osborneindustries.com works because there is no MX for that domain, so
qmail sends it directly to the host instead.  I'll be willing to bet that
the correct IP for that hostname is in /etc/hosts, thus it sends to where
you'd expect.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies