Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 09:08:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PAM auth problem in gdm (trying to port)

I'm currently trying to port gdm, a very nice xdm replacement, and have
hit a snag with PAM and authentication.  Perusing the man page for PAM was
not much help.  :-(

I copied the entries for xdm in /etc/pam.conf, changing xdm to gdm, but
still no go.

Here's what I'm seeing in the gdm debug output:

gdm[34613]: Couldn't authenticate :1: error: unexpected character `\222',
expected keyword - e.

This repeats three times, then:

gdm[34613]: Couldn't open session for conrads

Again repeating three times.

It seems that gdm wants to use /usr/local/etc/pam.d for authentication, as
it creates this dir on installation (I've deleted this dir, by the way),
but I'd rather it just worked with the standard /etc/pam.conf.

Any clues?

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/