Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:47:37 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi), mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd change for "cardio" and "cardmem"

> : Again, what is it that this patch fixes?  What bug and/or feature does
> : this add to FreeBSD?  It's really hard to have an opinion on the
> : 'goodness or badness' of a piece of code when there's no description of
> : what the patch does?
>
> He's already done that nate in the code that you clipped.

No, the code that he clipped showed the code that added a new keyword,
but not why the keyword was necessary.

> What the patch gains us is the ability to work with more pccard and
> compact flash cards than we'd get without it.  It also help us kludge
> around wd.c's too intemate knowledge of where the ide controller
> lives.  Mr. Hosokawa-san has already stated this explicitly in the
> mail message that you replied to.  How much clearer does he need to
> be?

He alluded to this, but that wasn't obvious.  And further email implied
that it also had something to do with sio cards as well.

> The patch may not be 100% pure.  However, if it works, then it is
> better than what we have now (which is nothing).

Like I said, what new ability does it add that we don't have?  Adding a
new keyword doesn't buy us anything other than a new keyword.

> Also, longer term there will be no pccardd, so the usual concern about
> long term maintainability is not present here.

I'm less encouraged that pccardd will 'go away' anytime soon.  Your
postings imply that doing things 'correctly' is going to take longer
than originally expected.

Nate