Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:09:09 -0800
From:      je killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need advice re SCSI

Hello all;
I have installed an LSI Logic SCSI adapter card and have attached to it
two 18GB Maxtor 15k SCSI hard drives.
These drives are 80 pin drives and I have obtained adapter boards to
convert the 80 pin connectors to 68 pin ribbon
cable for connection to the SCSI adapter (these adapters are from
Cables To Go). This adapter is made for a 64 bit PCI slot. I only have
32 bit PCI slots. I was told via tech support response e-mail from LSI
Logic that I could use the adapter card in 32 bit slots but with
reduced performance. About an inch of the card connector tab hangs off
the end of the PCI slot.

The following has been culled from dmesg.boot,  /var/log/messages, and
transcribed from shutdown messages:
 From dmesg.boot
mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xe900-0xe9ff mem
0xeb0e0000-0xeb0ffff
f,0xeb100000-0xeb11ffff irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.2.9.0
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0xa.
mpt0: mpt_wait_req timed out
mpt0: port enable timed outmpt0: failed to enable port 0
mpt0: Unable to initialize IOC
mpt1: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xea00-0xeaff mem
0xeb140000-0xeb15fff
f,0xeb160000-0xeb17ffff irq 10 at device 11.1 on pci0
mpt1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
mpt1: MPI Version=1.2.9.0
mpt1: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0xa.

Here is output from var/log/messages re SCSI:
Feb  1 01:57:40 AMD64 kernel: Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to
settle

Here is transcription of shutdown messages:
mpt1: Soft reset failed: device not running
mpt1: WARNING - Failed hard reset!
mpt1: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x6149.

The operating system has hatled.
Press any key to reboot.

Perhaps it would take an engineer to look at this and give me advice
but;
There is no entry for any da device indicating that the drives are not
detected
but the adapter is.
Drives start up with a clattering sound (somewhat like the sound I
associate with
roulette wheels...um...dicey?) and it's unclear if they are in fact
running.
I am using FreeBSD v6.0 on Elite Group ECS 755 A2 motherboard with
AMD64 (slot 754).
I need to be able to format and partition these drives for use which
means they have to show up.
I have taken some time to try to track down a source of motherboards
with 64 bit PCI slots
and don't have any data to go on as yet.
Sorry, I'm a little too bewildered to ask specific questions but any
info and advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeff K
maybe someday I'll have enough knowledge to help someone like me now.
( can learn to spend, when do I get to learn to earn? )