Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:07:54 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        aikala manoj pakkala <pakkala@angelfire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd:tcp/ip implementation

On 2002-10-22 21:47, aikala manoj pakkala <pakkala@angelfire.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if the tcp/ip implementation in freebsd is
> identical to the 4.4 bsd lite.  I would like to study tcp/ip w.r.t
> the book written by Stevens.  TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol 1,2,3 in which
> he provides the implementation as in 4.4bsd lite.

The TCP/IP implementation of 4.4BSD that is described in the books is
a bit different from the current state of the source in FreeBSD.  You
will certainly find places where things are done a bit differently.
What is marvellous though is that the full history of the FreeBSD
source tree is readily available to you, only a few browser's clicks
away.  Point your browser at http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/ and you will
be able to view both the original 4.4BSD source that FreeBSD is
derived from and all the changes that have been done since.

> If it is the same or fairly similar i would like you to recomend me
> a stable version of freebsd(cdrom bootable).

You should definitely try installing one of the FreeBSD -RELEASE
versions.  The latest release is now 4.7-RELEASE, and you can find
about ways to obtain it easily at the www.FreeBSD.org site.  Start
either at the front page of the site, or at the list of FreeBSD
mirrors:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html

Welcome to the FreeBSD side of the world :)

--
keramida@FreeBSD.org       FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #14: Mon Oct 21 06:51:14 EEST 2002