Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:00:53 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: why FFS is THAT slower than EXT2 ?

Hmm, was that programmed I/O mode for Linux vs DMA for FreeBSD?

One might expect it possible that a device doing programmed I/O might
be able to beat out a DMA scheme (for raw throughput) but usually at
a cost of being unfair to other processes.

A Linux box often "feels" rather jerky to me.  Sometimes the numbers
it _appears_ to handle might seem very impressive (as do yours) but
the story comes out once you put a little processing and I/O load on
the system.

Put a significant load on your systems and try again  ;)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net