Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:47:15 +0000
From:      af300wsm@gmail.com
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Loading sound drivers

Hi,

My motherboard, an ASUS K8V-X, has a generic type sound chip on board,
according to ASUS' specifications, it is an AD1980 chipset. The hardware
notes, linked from the handbook, does not list this chipset but does list
several Intel type HDA chipsets including one AD1981 chipset. Never the
less, using the handbook instructions I loaded the meta sound driver and my
chipset was identified as a via8233 chipset. The meta driver loaded many
drivers into the kernel, but through trial and error I've discovered that
only sound.ko and snd_via8233.ko need to be loaded. So, I put these two
lines into /boot/loader.conf:

sound="YES"
snd_via8233="YES"

However, these two modules do not load on bootup. Why? How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Andy