Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2020 08:58:01 +0200
From:      Daniel Lysfjord <lysfjord.daniel@smokepit.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exim - retry time not reached for any host

On 21.06.2020 23:33, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 June 2020 01:07:04 BST Daniel Lysfjord via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> On 19.06.2020 17:57, Mike Clarke wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>>> So it looks very much like the problem lies somewhere in my system even
>>> though there's been no changes made recently. I'd appreciate suggestions
>>> on how I should go about tracing and fixing the cause of this problem.
>>
>> Have you tried to start exim with "-bd -d+all" to get some debug output?
>

> OK, I've done that now and it's highlighted what's happening, though I'm not sure if it helps to
> explain why;
>

> To summarise it looks like the SSL connection fails but eventually succeeds after a number of
> retries although the delay could be an hour or more.
>

> As a workaround I've reverted exim from 4.94 to 4.93.0.4 which does not appear to suffer from this
> problem.
>[..]

Can't see anything wrong with that part of the config. The exim4
changelog between 4.93 and 4.94 is quite long, and many things have
changed. You could try to bisect, of course.

Did 4.94 fail to connect every time, or was it sporadic?

Since the only difference between your tests are the version of exim, I
can't see any reason to try manually testing open openssl, but you could
try testing with tcpdump, and see if you see anything different between
the versions or if there's a difference in failed and successful
attempts (exim -Rf @domain to force a queue-run, should ignore retry
delays).

Good luck:)