Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:04:15 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

On 8/16/2010 3:04 PM, Olivier Smedts wrote:

> I'm quite late, and won't speak for "batch",

With portmaster 3.0 it should no longer be necessary. The option to stop
displaying config menus is now 100% effective.

> but here is what I use
> with portmaster. I switched recently from portupgrade to portmaster
> and I'm happy with the following command.

Glad to hear that someone is happy anyway. :)

> I was used to "portupgrade
> -a" and was disappointed with "portmaster -a" the first days.
> # portmaster -adw -x openoffice
>
> -a is just like in portupgrade,
> -d cleans old distfiles without confirmation,

Depending on what you're doing you might be happier with the option to
not not clean distfiles at all, combined with occasional use of the tool
to clean up stale distfiles all at once.

> -w copies old libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ like portupgrade
> does, I find this very useful to not break the system. That's less
> likely to happen with the recent approach of bumping revisions of all
> dependant ports, but it's safer and I often clean this directory.

I've toyed with the idea of making this the default, but don't really
want to do that until there is a serviceable tool to clean up
no-longer-needed libraries in a more or less automated way. Rumor is
that $SOMEONE is working on such a tool ...

The 2 options above can be added to a portmaster rc file if you're sure
you always want to use them. The distfile options can be overridden on
the command line even if they are in the rc file.

> -x to exclude some ports you don't want to upgrade

You can also use an +IGNOREME file for this purpose.

> This is very convenient because, unlike with "portupgrade -a", all the
> config dialogs appear at the beginning (so I don't have to use a batch
> mode, and never see my upgrade paused on a blue screen after having
> left the computer for the night), and portmaster prompts you with a
> list of the actions that will be taken before doing anything. I now
> know what will be installed in addition of my already present ports.
> There's also a very practical feature to delete build-deps, but I
> don't use it because I already have a script which deletes everything
> but what I explicitely want to keep.
>
> Thanks Doug !

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Doug