Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:16:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Adam Furman <adam.furman@usi.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server going into Kernel Debug mode

[removing -fs; I don't see the reason for this]

On Friday, 13 November 1998 at 23:42:35 -0500, Adam Furman wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on an Pentium 133 with 128megs of Memory.  My
> server seems to be crashing now every couple of hours and goes into Kernel
> Debug mode.  The server was running for 184 days before it started to encore
> any problems.  It gave me trouble for about 3 days and it all of sudden stop
> giving me trouble and ran for another month.  The server again is giving me
> problems.  The error message that is comming up on the console is as
> follows.  Any help in this problem would be great.  I need to know what
> could be wrong so I can fix that problem so this doesn't keep happening.
> Thanks
> Adam Furman
>
> (error message)
> calcrv: negative time: -6131984 vsec
> fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> fault virtual address = 0x4
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf0153ed9
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xefbfff74
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xefbfff84
>
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 	     = DPL 0, Pres 1, det32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IUPL=0
> current process = 177(SSHD1)
> interrupt mask =
> kernel: type 12 trap, code =0
> stoped at _ip_slowtimot0x49: mov1 0x4(%ebx),%eax
> db>

Well, yes, you've gone into the kernel debugger because it's
configured.  If it hadn't been, you would just have had a panic.
Small choice in rotten apples.

I suppose the first question is: do you know how to use the kernel
debugger?  If not, disable it.

If you do, check the handbook, which tells you what to do with the
debugger.  I strongly recommend a debug kernel, which will enable you
to find out what is happening.  You might also like to look at
http://www.lemis.com/vinum_debugging.html,  which, though not general
purpose, contains some ideas which aren't available elsewhere.

In this case, you've obviously died in ip_slowtimo (not ip_slowtimot,
as you wrote), and I'd guess it's related with the calcru time offset
you mention.  I don't have 2.2.5 online, but you might find it an
interesting effort to find out what went wrong there.

Greg