Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 20:40:51 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        xpert@XFree86.Org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Xpert]xdm setup

--==_Exmh_246494130P

> I have installed XFree86 4.2 and KDE3 on a FreeBSD box running 2 PII 450mz
> processors.
> The problem: xdm only seems to work on ttyv8.

Check the output of 'man XFree86' again.

Working as designed; if you don't specify a virtual tty, it'll grab the first
one not running a getty. I'll bet you've got the default vtty's 0 thru 7 set
up in /etc/ttys.

> logout only brings up another
> login screen and does not return to the terminal.

'man XFree86'.

Working as designed. Xdm is a session manager. It doesn't run X once and exit.
Use startx or xinit if you want that (depracated: *dm is the way to go, IMHO).

> Logging in as the
> superuser brings up KDE3 and the only way out is by hitting F1.

??? Depends on how your X session is getting started, and what the 'Go Away'
key is for KDE. I don't use KDE.

> If I log in
> as any user, I get the xconsole and another set-up screen.

Sounds like you're getting logged out, e.g. either your X or your KDE session
is failing for some reason. Check your error log. Look in '/var/log',
particularly at 'xdm-errors.log'.

Also check .xsession-errors in your home directory. One of these will have the
error output from KDE when you run as a regular user. I'd guess that you need
to set up some kind of environment for it. Look for permissions errors etc.

> How can I set up xdm to come up on another terminal and so it will close an
> return to the terminal when I logout?

You can't, AFAIK. I'd suggest you don't use xdm for that, because it is a
Display Manager, and it will Manage the Display... :-)

Actually, this can make it a bear to debug X problems, if the X server won't
run for example, because xdm will start X, the server will exit, you'll switch
back to a text mode and xdm will start X again...

Just use Ctrl-Alt-Fx to switch to virtual terminal x-1 (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F1
switches to vty0, the first one you see when you boot the machine).

> And how to set up xdm to switch to
> other windows managers to try them out?

I use 'wdm', which offers a drop-down list of window managers to try out.
However, I mostly use it now because I like the pretty appearance at login,
because I've been using WindowMaker for years (small, fast, intuitive,
non-intrustive & pretty).

> I have searched the net and the man pages and nothing seems to work. :((
> Phil

HTH.

Regards,

AS