Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:36:52 +0100
From:      "Jonathan Defries" <jonathan@corpex.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Stable@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Too many open files

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a caching nameserver on one of my web servers
and it keeps complaining:

socket(SOCK_DGRAM): Too many open files

I have 4 servers with identical hardware, all running 3.5-STABLE
with the same sort of loads on each, but this is the only one it
is happening on.

What's the best thing to do to try and alleviate this? I have
maxusers set at 256, I've seen mention of a new kernel with a
couple of extra options, would this be the way to go?

 - Jonathan