Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:07:00 +0200
From:      Milon Papezik <milon.papezik@oskarmobil.cz>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

David Greenman wrote:

Hi David,

you wrote that you have trouble finding a person
with Intel 82559 based NIC (regular or onboard),
I am willing to assist you as much as I can
to solve this problem.

I alredy looked at the code in FBSD v3.4R and tried
to create workaround a patch for my card supplied by Compaq.
I could not finish the patch for 3.4R as my task
had to be finished and I choose to swap the card.

The problem with this particular card is that
it's detected as i82558 based card, but the code
for reading PHY type from EEPROM doesn't work
as it is i82559 based card with integrated PHY.

This can be detected by reading PHY identification
from PHY's regiters (as documented in Intel docs).

At the moment I have a spare machine
and the NIC available for testing.

Please let me know if you are interested
in my offer to test your patches to 4.0 driver?

	Cheers,
	Milon

PS: I sent similar message to -hackers a month and half ago
    but I never got any answer back (yes/no is enough).
--
milon.papezik@oskarmobil.cz