Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:09:01 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: svn for make fetch

Eitan Adler wrote:
> I was hoping to get a bit more of a response to a recent posting of
> mine with regard to using svn to fetch files for ports
> My proposal: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg23776.html
> A summary of what has been going on:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/EitanAdler/ports-svn

I was really hoping that others would have more to say as well. My
chief concern is that unless I'm missing something there is no way to
provide checksums for the source files, correct? If that's true my gut
reaction is "no freakin' way" but I'm willing to listen to arguments
as to why this should be ok.

I tend to agree with the other sentiments already expressed that in
cases where svn is the only way a project distributes its source that
maintainers ought to be putting together tarballs of specific
versions. I don't really see that this is an overwhelming burden, but
again I'm open to arguments as to why I might be wrong about this.

Doug