Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:30:51 -0500
From:      Eric <heli@mikestammer.com>
To:        fatman@nospam.crackmonkey.nospam.us
Cc:        Miguel <mmiranda@123.com.sv>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: porteasy vs portupgrade

Adam J Richardson wrote:
> <snip>

>>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>>> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
>>
>> try portmaster as a replacement to portupgrade. No dependencies and it
>> works great.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I tried portmaster one time when I got mad with portupgrade. It's great
> that it has no dependencies, but I didn't like it at all. Can't remember
> why - it just didn't work for me. I think portupgrade probably ruined me
> with things like portversion and pkg_deinstall. I'm too lazy for
> portmaster.
>
> Adam J Richardson

When did you try it last? There have been lots of improvements and you
can set certain flags up to always be in effect if you need to.

portmaster -L | grep version

tells me everything that needs to be updated and the -e switch removes
ports i no longer want around, but then again, so does make deinstall
clean. What does portversion do thats so special? same with pkg_deinstall