Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:34:15 -0600
From:      "Ross Penner" <ross.penner@gmail.com>
To:        "User questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing from USB Flash Drive

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install a system on a machine that doesn't have an optical=
  =

drive. I plan on using a USB flash drive to do the job and found a  =

messages from hackers@freebsd.org  =

(http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg55434.html) =
 =

about just such a thing. The script provided converts the CD image into =
 =

one suitable for a flashmemory stick. I used  and coverted it without  =

issue. The instructions say to use dd to prepare the flash drive so  =

executed
#dd if=3Dflashbsd.iso of=3D/dev/da0
I'm not entirely confident that that was the correct procedure, as I'm  =

quite unfamilar with dd. Unfortunetly, I can't seem to get the drive to =
 =

boot. I can mount the filesystem so it seems that prepareing the drive w=
as  =

succesful. I'm using a via chipset and yes, the bios is set to boot from=
  =

USB-FDD. I used the 6.2 boot only image.

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

Ross

-- =

sig ho!