Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 10:51:51 +0200
From:      Ian G <iang@iang.org>
To:        Clemens Renner <claim@rinux.net>, James O'Gorman <james@netinertia.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slightly OT: SSL certs - best practice?

Hi all,

Clemens Renner wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I would advise against using wildcard certificates. There certainly are
> situations where this might be adequate but I'm in favor of a single
> server certificate for each service that uses a different (virtual)
> host. Thus, I have created several certificates for Apache SSL hosts
> plus certificates for mail serving, etc.

An alternative to wildcard certificates
is the SAN or SubjectAltName method
documented here:

http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/VhostTaskForce

It seems to work, I've used it (note that
the primary CN should be duplicated in the
SAN list).

>> PS - Once I've worked out how exactly I'm supposed to be doing this,
>> I'll probably get some "officially" signed certs. I hear CACert are a
>> good, free way of doing this. Anyone got any comments on that?
> I'd say the same thing applies to
> certificates signed by a CA that does not do a "real" verification of
> the requesting person by which I mean that you probably don't need to go
> somewhere and show some official ID to prove that you are in fact you.

OK, just to clarify here - CAcert's system of
verification includes (in general) checking of
identity documents in a person-to-person process.

Once people have been
verified to their standard - they call it their
assurance process - the assured user can issue
certs with names in them, using a "class 3" root;
before that, users can only issue unnamed certs
using an anon "class 1" root.

(Whether this works for you, all depends.)

iang

PS: I gather that the "class 3" and "class 1"
convention comes from verisign.