Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:09:09 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux publicity

Let me begin with some headlines:

---------------<snip>-------------
Linux moves up: Database leaders lend credibility
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980725.whlinuxsupport.htm

Linux is gaining ground, but it still has miles to go in corporate America
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/tebbe/tebbe.htm

With each new deal, Linux gains strength
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/vizard/vizard.htm

Database Vendors, Netscape support Linux
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/zdnn_display/0,3440,339810,00.html

Microsoft vs. Linux: Code-to-code combat
http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/opinion/0727/27wide.html

Oracle to port database to Linux
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/pcwk/1530/338330.html

Informix Turns Corner
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/pcwk/1530/339265.html

---------------<snip>-------------

Linux is getting a TON of front-page publicity and support lately.  And
so... where's FreeBSD in all this?  Some of Linux's advertised weaknesses
("It's good, but...") are FreeBSD's strengths.  The articles would read a
lot differently if it were FreeBSD being talked about instead, and imagine
if FreeBSD started getting all that publicity...

For example, Michael Vizard says "The only things Linux still lacks are a
sophisticated set of installation routines and the support from a large
service organization."  Well, FreeBSD has an EXCELLENT installation routine
imho, and has a much better organized team, support and beyond.

I think FreeBSD's PR team needs to send some emails, make some calls, and
start kicking some major butt ;)

(I don't subscribe to these lists (I get too many others already) but I'd
appreciated if responses were cc:'ed to me so I could follow.  Thanks!)